Of more value than many Sparrows


The last few weeks have been gut wrenching. That is, I have been holding onto my stomach for fear that it will get carried away by thousands of little butterflies (or, maybe dragons?) that have been causing me to lose sleep and hate the sight of food.

College classes, those that I enjoy, have never caused me problems. I have always excelled, and go above and beyond the professors expectations. I know that sounds like bragging. And it is in some ways. (I need an ego boost after this semester, okay?!) I am not trying to discourage anyone or make them feel like their semester was a total fail because someone had it "easier." In fact, this semester was the worst I have ever had. And I hope that it is the only one that I will ever have to face.

With all that said, the point of this post is not to brag about passing classes or how easy it is to rattle on and on about history facts. No, what I wanted to share with you all today is that no matter how your semester is (or has) turned out, in the grand scheme of life, your grade(s) don't define you.
If our weight isn't supposed to define us, then why should a grade letter? Getting a good grade, or having a 4.0 GPA does not indicate the success you will have in life. Sure, some of you will be lucky ones who've been gifted with wonderful opportunities. For those of us, however, who are on a different path, understand that even Bill Gates failed at first, but eventually surpassed his engineering friends to go on to be CEO of Microsoft.

Success is not instantaneous for a lot of us. Remember that. Also, remember what God says about success. I'm pretty sure that He doesn't use a grading system to measure your worth and intelligence.
Here are some verses I find to be helpful reminders when I am feeling overwhelmed by the pressure to succeed beyond what I have been designed and wired to do:


Matthew 10:31
"Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Philippians 3:13-14
“Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

1 Timothy 6:12
“Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.”

Matthew 6:33-34
"Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself."

Romans 8:28
"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."

Matthew 6:25-34
“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. ..."

1 Samuel 16:7
"But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.'"

Comments

Popular Posts